KC Zine Con is a safer space, providing an inclusive environment for everyone who wishes to participate regardless of race, sexual orientation, gender, physicality, internal disabilities, age, religion, or marital status. Our safer space is supportive by being free of oppressive and harassing behavior, actions, and language, where everyone can feel comfortable and safe to have fun while respecting each other’s boundaries.
KC Zine Con attendees and exhibitors agree to maintain a safer space by abiding by the following guidelines:
– Respect peoples’ physical and emotional boundaries.
– Respect peoples’ differing opinions, beliefs, and perspectives.
– Always get explicit consent before physically touching another person, photographing them, or crossing other personal boundaries.
– Be aware the original intent of your actions and words is not always how they will be received, and respect those you are engaging, with a willingness to adjust your behavior to promote a safer space.
The following actions and forms of discrimination and abuse will not be tolerated:
– Racism, sexism, classism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, religious intolerance, ageism, sizeism, and all other forms of discrimination.
– Theft of money or property.
– Physical, verbal, or mental abuse.
– Sexual harassment, inappropriate/unwelcome comments and behaviors.
– Disruptive or disrespectful behavior.
– Causing a participant or attendee to feel distressed or unsafe.
The organizers of KC Zine Con are unable to preview all possible exhibitor materials before the event. If participants find certain materials to be in violation of our safer spaces guidelines, KC Zine Con volunteers encourage you to make us aware of those problematic materials. We will respect the needs of any person raising concerns to us as we confront problematic content and behavior.
Should an issue arise with an exhibitor or attendee before or during the event, KC Zine Con organizers will be available to hear those concerns and attempt to mediate and find a solution that is in the best interests of promoting a safer space. The KC Zine Con organizers reserve the right to ask any participants who are violating the safer spaces policy to change or address their unsafe behavior or language. If anyone violating the safer spaces policy is unable to refrain from their unsafe behavior or language, they will be asked to leave the event without refund of their tabling fee.
*Photography – We ask that you respect personal boundaries and privacy when photographing at KC Zine Con. Please refrain from photographing individuals who are attending, or exhibitors and their creations, without their consent. Anyone who proceeds to photograph individuals without their consent, after being warned to stop, will be asked to leave the event.